July 19, 2012

Edible Stones!

So, I volunteered to help at my church's VBS this year, and I was given the job of being the snack lady! It has been SO much fun getting to make yummy snacks with the VBS kids all week! AND...I am totally stealing one of the recipes for my classroom! The official name of it is "Rocky Road Stones." So, I automatically thought how fun it would be to make them with my prekinders when we are studying rocks!

Don't they look YUMMY??????

They are super easy to make, and the kids can have a big part in making them, too! Here's how you do it:
You need:
~one 18 oz. package of Oreos
~8 oz. of cream cheese
~powdered sugar

1. Put the Oreos in a large zipper bag and crush them. They need to be crushed enough that there are no large chunks left. (I used a rolling pin to do this.)
2. Put the cream cheese in a bowl. Use a hand mixer to mix it up until it is fluffy. (I softened mine in the microwave a little before I mixed it.)
3. Add the crushed Oreos to the cream cheese and mix them together until they are completely combined. (I tried to do this with a large plastic spoon, but it broke! So, I ended up just doing it with my hands, like I was making meatloaf.)
4. Put the mixture in the fridge to chill for about 2 hours.

~For the classroom, I would do all of that ahead of time! But, the rest, the kids can do themselves!

5. Pinch off a blob of the mixture and form it into a ball. The more you pinch, the bigger the ball will be. I made mine a little smaller than a ping pong ball.
6. Roll the ball in powdered sugar until it's covered, and VOILA! You have edible stones!

I can't wait to do this with my prekinders this year! The VBS kids (and all of the adult volunteers) loved them so much that I was asked to make another 100 of them for the picnic tomorrow! So, if you decide to try it in your classroom, I'll give you fair warning... You may need to have some extras on hand to share with your fellow teachers!!

No comments:

Post a Comment