July 27, 2012

Setting Up the Room, Part 1

So, I finally got into my new classroom this week and started working on getting it set up. This has not been what I would call easy at all. In fact, the first thing that comes to mind when I think about it is AAAAAHHHHH!!!!!! But...I'm slowly but surely getting a handle on it...I think...

To start with, there was summer school in my room this summer, and I wasn't the one teaching it. So, when last year was over, I had to make sure that everything was boxed up or locked in cabinets. There have been way too many cases of materials vanishing during summer school in previous years, and I made sure that did NOT happen in my room! So, the very first thing I did was pull everything out of the storage closet (aka the bathroom).

All the boxes went in the front corner...

...all the furniture in the back corner...

...and all the storage containers under the window. And, no...my kids did not spend their summer in the storage closet! But, I have had to drag them with me every day this week since both Daddy and big sister have been out of town! (Oh, and don't you just LOVE the beautiful curtains over the window?)

Now that I had everything pulled out, my progress stalled. But, it stalled for a good reason! I spent the next two hours just looking around the room. I sat in different parts of it, walked around, and just basically tried to visualize what I wanted the room to look like and how I wanted it to feel. I am VERY deliberate and calculated with everything I do in my room, so I really had to spend time just getting a feel for the room and mapping it out in my head.

Once I had a general picture in my head, I went to work! I wanted to start by getting all the furniture where it was going to go. This was still a little bit of trial and error, but actually went pretty smoothly. Well...except for the group area. I am a little extremely OCD about my classroom. Everything has to balance and fit together symmetrically or it drives me NUTS! And, symmetry is not easy to come by when your group rug is shaped like 1/4 of a circle. But, after about an hour of trying different rug arrangements, I finally got one I was happy with! (And, somehow, I didn't even get a picture of it! Sheesh!) Arranging everything else was easy peasy! And...at least, so far...I really like the way the room is taking shape!

The front corner will be home to the writing center and ABC center.

The back corner will be home to the art center, math and science center, and dramatic play center (which you can't really see). The block center will live right in front of the dramatic play center,

The other front corner will be home to the technology center (computers, iPads, Leap Pads, and listening), and reading center. The group area will also double as part of the reading center. I'll make sure I get pictures of the entire room next time!

OK...so I'm not even close to being done. But, I am headed back to work some more this morning. I am on a mission to have everything set up BEFORE we actually report back! So, I guess you could say I have already reported back! I'm pretty much going to be there everyday, but it will be SO worth it when I can have a calm and organized start to my year! Once my room starts actually looking like a classroom rather than a storage shed, I'll post more pictures so you can see what it's really going to look like! Maybe by this weekend???? I guess one can hope!


4 comments:

  1. I'm overwhelmed too about setting up my new room. I can't even get into my building yet! Just found your blog and am your newest follower. I'd love it if you stopped by.:)
    Kristin
    iTeach 1:1

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your classroom is huge! Best of luck to you :)

    http://mspasquakinder.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm moving to a new building this year. Wish I could get in and get the mess under control. Good luck! I found your blog through the new blog link up. I'd love it if you stopped by my blog:)
    Carrie
    The Common Core Classroom

    ReplyDelete