August 6, 2012

Getting a Face Lift

Not me....my blog! I really wanted my blog to be cute! I mean, it was OK...but just not really what I wanted. And, I didn't have any way to add all the extras to it since I was just using a free background that didn't have anything else available that matched. So, I started searching....and searching...and searching...and finding nothing that did it for me. (Now, let me clarify here that I was looking for FREE blog sets. I am a complete cheapskate!!) I even started looking at the blog sets that you have to PAY for! ~shudders~ But, come on! There is nooooo way I'm paying $80-$150 just to make my blog cuter! Especially when it doesn't make me any money!

So, like I always do, I set out on a mission to make it myself. After we got home from church, I spent my entire day on my computer trying, and trying again, and trying AGAIN to make something useable. I started by creating a new blog that I can only use for the purposes of trying things out, without worrying about screwing up what I already have. Google became my BFF as I was trying to figure out how in the heck to make all this happen! I found some great tutorials that helped me every step of the way. (Don't ask me now where they are! I used so many different ones, I couldn't even begin to find all of them again!) I would just Google, "how to _____ in Blogger," then click on the different sites that came up in the search results until I found what I needed. I already had some awesome digital scrapbooking sets that I found for FREE (my favorite word!!) at Grany Enchanted's site, so I got busy making a background, header, post divider, button, gadget headers, and favicon. I spent hours making an image, putting it on the faux blog to see how it looked, making adjustments, and trying again. And, as of about 2:30am...I think I finally have something I'm happy with!

I wish I could say this DIY project was as easy peasy as all the other things I've decided to make myself! I mean, it wasn't really difficult...just tedious. It was hours of repeated trial and error, and that can get very frustrating! I will say that if you aren't comfortable messing with your HTML code, you do NOT need to take this project on! There was a lot of HTML adjusting that went on! Personally, I really enjoyed it! I love doing stuff like this, which is why I was up half the night doing it!

I like the face lift my blog got yesterday, and I hope you do, too! I'd love, love, love to hear what you think about it!!

6 comments:

  1. Your hard work paid off. It looks great!

    Hooty
    Hooty's Homeroom

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm impressed. I could never do anything like this! I get frustrated just trying to make a button. Way to go!

    Diane
    Teaching with Moxie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not sure if this is coming across right, but I like the "transparent" feel when you scroll. Like the words are dimensional. You did a GREAT job!

    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for all of the kind words! I'm SO glad I'm not the only one who likes it!! Especially after 14 hours on my computer making it! ~sigh of relief~

    ReplyDelete